[pct-l] Re: California Fire Permit - Teutang Cyn Fire 5-13-04

How many of you are carrying a shovel as required by your California
Campfire Permit? Your not your in violation right there.

I spoke with the Angeles National Forest Supervisors Office regarding this
and they say you MUST have a shovel to be in compliance, whether your using
a stove or not.

Seems to me it's a worthless piece of paper, written in such a way, that if
you start a fire you'll be cited no matter what you do, and could be
responsible for the fire fighting costs. Certianly not a real incentive to
report a fire in the first place, for some people.

Regarding the Fire in Teutang Cyn, I have heard from various word of mouth
sources the stove in question was a Pepsi can alcohol stove.

Is this true?

I have also heard several stories regarding flare ups with these stoves. If
this is true they seem to be very dangerous and anyone considering using one
should reconsider, how much weight does it save? or at least exercise
extreme caution when using them.

Trail90

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 37
> Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:46:23 -0700
> From: "Mike Saenz" <msaenz@mve-architects.com>
> Subject: RE: [pct-l] California Fire Permits
> To: "David Anderson" <david135@pc3i.com>,
> <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
>
> I talked to a CDF fireman at El Carizo (Cleveland NF) and he's never heard
of a stove permit...
> Maybe talked to the wrong guy, but he suggested I talk to BLM.
>
> M i c h a e l   S a e n z
> McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
> A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
> w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m

Campfire