[pct-l] Right Pack for Thru Hike...

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 10:30, Magical Nexus wrote:

>  My gear weight, with food for a week and 3liters of water comes in at 22 pounds.

That's really impressive - food and water must account for at least 15
lbs of that 22 lbs. Do you carry a stove and cooking gear?

Ryan Jordan has put together a super ultralight kit with a 5 lb base
weight. Pretty spartan, but if one has the skills to pull it off, going
that light would certainly make for some good cruising.

I'm bumping up against 12 lbs base weight myself. I could shave maybe a
pound by getting a lighter pack, but the one I have carries so well I'm
not inclined to do so. I'm also a pretty big guy, so I'm in XL tops and
L bottoms, L sleeping bag, etc & about 2 lb of food per day. My 7 day
pack checks in at about 30 lb. I used to carry 60 to 75 lbs in my
climbing days, so this feels really light. I'll keep paring the ounces,
but I despair of getting down as light as you have. Kudos.

Jim McEver