[pct-l] Right Pack for Thru Hike...

Hi Shane,
I am sure you will get some responses on this, here is my two cents worth...

Fifty pounds for five days is not something any thru hiker would consider. My gear weight, with food for a week and 3liters of water comes in at 22 pounds. I have everything any hiker would need. Light, food, shelter (my tent is a 9X12 tarp made from pool table cover material and weighs about a pound with stakes and lines - served me well in rain and snow), cooking gear, bedding, camera, umbrella, etc...

You can get lighter than that, even but I am happy with that load. I currently use a Gregory G pack, weighs about 3lbs. Has a moderate internal frame that is more than adequate to manage my 22 pounds of gear and supplies. I wanted something with alittle more padding and reinforcement than the Go-lite bag...There are other favorites out there and I am sure you will hear about them.

My 22 pounds of gear makes walking in good running shoes possible so I don't need heavy hiking boots...

If you want a great breakdown on thru hiking philosophy regarding gear, weight and hiking comfort read Ray Jardine's "PCT Hikers Handbook". You don't have to take it to the extreme to learn how to reduce weight while increasing comfort.

Do your homework, it is worth it. They don't call it the Pacific Crest Trail for nothing. It is all uphill - Mexico to Canada... you will be glad you took the time to prepare. A little conditioning, a well thought out resupply program to reduce your daily load, and you will be walking uphill and liking it.

Happy to share my gear list, just ask.

Tedster