[pct-l] Right pack for a thru-hike.

SW wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm right now in the planning stages for a 2005 thru-hike on the PCT, but
> am getting conflicting views on the type of backpack to use on the trip.

Here is how I would look at the choice of a pack:

First, a 6+ lb. pack may feel very comfortable at all times, but
in terms of simple physics, you are going to be doing more work
to carry it than a lighter pack. Work is work. Not only will you
burn more calories, but you will also be approaching nearer to the
limit of work your body can deliver. It is better to stay as far
from that limit as you can. The way to do that is to choose a
lighter pack than your Osprey Crescent 90.

That much said, I do not agree with the new-found 'wisdom' that
dispenses with any suspension system that transfers weight
to your hips, even though I consider it is sufficiently proved
that thru-hikers can use a beltless pack and succeed in the
short run - even hike thousands of miles with one.

My main concern is that spines are not well-designed for weight
bearing. Ask any physical therapist and they'll tell you about
the prevalence of ruptured and compressed discs among people over
the age of 50. The damage is slow and cumulative. The fact that
you can hike 2500 miles and not be crippled is beside the point.
Why risk your long term spinal health when you can get a pack
with adequate suspension that weighs just 2 lbs, give or take
an ounce?

The place to rid your pack of excess weight is: omit needless
extra pockets, straps, padding, heavyweight fabrics and other
unecessary features. Get a simple bag-on-a-frame with a belt.
There are several of these on the market. Get the one that
"likes" your build and feels comfortable. It doesn't have
to carry 50 lbs. It just needs to take the weight off your
spine and transfer it to your hips.

That's my two cents.

Aimless (Brian McLaughlin)