[pct-l] socks

What kind of socks are most thru hikers using?  It seems like people
rotate through a ton of socks so they must not be smartwool ($16 per
pair!).  Are you all really using nylon dress socks?  I love smartwool
socks but I don't want to buy enough pairs to make it through a thru-hike.
Maybe a few pair would last the whole way but I doubt it.

Steve