[pct-l] ice ax

In a message dated 1/13/2004 11:59:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
CMountainDave@aol.com writes:

> it
> will give you more confidence when crossing steep snow and that alone will
> make
> it safer.

Actually since I didn't have training prior to my start and nearly took off
my shoulder off during practice on the trail, I felt much more comfortable
crossing steep snow with both poles, one shortened on the up hill side, the other
lengthened.  This way it was much easier to maintain my balance.  Perhaps the
most important factor, I also timed my passes to reach snow when it was
softened and not icy.  I could also prod along well in front of me to test for icy
"trail".

YMMV,

Sly