[pct-l] socks

I used basic, ankle high running socks during my hike.  I was wearing
trail runners and found the ankle highs to be about perfect.  I tended
to carry 3-4 pair with me and would put a fresh pair on every morning.
This meant that I had to scrub out my socks sometime each day, but this
wasn't much of a problem, particularly from Kennedy Meadows north.
My favorite type were by Fox River.  I don't think they are very
expensive.  Note that SoCal chews socks: The sand and other debris that
comes into the shoes burns holes in the socks.   From Kennedy Meadows
north, I burned up 3 pairs of socks.  From Mexico to Mojave, I went
through something like 5.

Suge

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Steve Setzer wrote:

> What kind of socks are most thru hikers using?  It seems like people
> rotate through a ton of socks so they must not be smartwool ($16 per
> pair!).  Are you all really using nylon dress socks?  I love smartwool
> socks but I don't want to buy enough pairs to make it through a thru-hike.
> Maybe a few pair would last the whole way but I doubt it.
>
> Steve
>

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Jon Lovejoy wrote:
>
> > Jim, I didn't see socks on your list. I carried 2 pair and had a fresh
> > pair in every resupply box. I left a few in hiker boxes along the way
> > and threw out a few, but it was worth it to me to always have fresh
> > socks entering into the rotation.

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University