[pct-l] digital camera

Toby - Let me preface this by saying that I am no professional
photographer or even a very sophisticated amature, but I do have some
experience that may be helpful to you.

I own an Olympus Camedia 3040 (3.2 megapixel) and I would not really
recomend it.  (If you were looking at film cameras, I would recomend
the Olympus Stylus, which I also own and have used on the PCT dozens of
times).  The problem with the Olympus Camedia is that it frequently
over-exposes the shot and it eats up batteries like crazy.
Additionally, it is unable to produce good color in areas of the shot
with high contrast (there is a term for this, but I forget what its
called.  it turns the edges of the contrasting area purple).  For an
example of what I am talking about, look at this photo all across the
upper part of the picture where the tree branches contrast with the sky
behind them:
http://www.dudedesign.com/photos/tyt2001/hi_res/P7280001.JPG

Notice how it suffers from that purple "noise" along the edges of the
branches?

Another problem for many people with the Olympus Cameras is that they
don't (or at least didn't used to, it may have changed) come with any
super-easy software for taking the photos off the camera and organizing
them.  This isn;t a big issue to be because I am a network engineer and
can manage just fine, but for some techno-phobic hikers out there it
could be a problem.

Two suggestions already made are ones that I would second:
1.  check out the Canon line of cameras.  Canon is really very good
with digital photography.  Their Digital Rebel is getting tons of kudos
from every photography website and magazine out there as the best bang
for the buck for a digital SLR camera.  The Digital Rebel is like a
normal 35mm and will likely be more than you want to carry for a thru-
hike, but if not, you should certainly check it out.  I have a friend
with whom I have done several hikes along the PCT, and he uses a Conon
Powershot (I forget the exact model, but its small).  Notice how this
shot is similar to the one above with the light coming through the
branches and it does not suffer from the same "purple haze" problem:
http://www.dudedesign.com/photos/goodmancreek/hi_res/014.jpg  That's
really a tough shot because of the super-high contrast, but the Canon
Powershot did a pretty good job on it.  here are a bunch more pics
taken with the Canon Powershot:
http://www.dudedesign.com/photos/goodmancreek/

For comparison, every other album after 1998 on my site is shot with
the Olypmus:
http://www.dudedesign.com/photos/
http://www.dudedesign.com/cristina/

Don't get me wrong, the Olympus does take some very decent photos, I
just think that what I've seen of the Canon are better.  To be fair,
here are some good shots with the 3.5 year old Olympus taken just last
week:
http://www.dudedesign.com/cristina/zoo/hi_res/zoo14.jpg
http://www.dudedesign.com/cristina/zoo/hi_res/zoo25.jpg
http://www.dudedesign.com/cristina/drive_home/hi_res/redwoods49.jpg
http://www.dudedesign.com/cristina/drive_home/hi_res/redwoods41.jpg

2. The other thing that I'd also recomend is checking out
www.dpreview.com.  That site totally rocks.  They review the crap out
of camera's to the N'th degree and also usually post sample images
taken by people who know WTF they are doing.  Once you settle on 2 or 3
models, you can also check out www.pbase.com and search by camera model
to see how average ordinary people take pictures with the model you are
looking at.

Lastly, A friend of mine just got a Casio Exilim 4 megapixel camera
that is absolutely TINY.  It also takes very good photos, but I am not
sure how fragile it is (who knows, it could be tough).  Part of what
your decision will depend is what you want to do with the photos.  As
someone else alreadys aid, if you just want to post on the web, then
just get some cheap 1,2, or 3 megapixel camera and call it a day.  If
you want prints, then you need to know how large you plan on printing.
# megapixel is as small as I'd go for any prints.  Three MP can print
upto 4x6 pretty good and go upto about 5x7 fairly ok, depending on the
camera and its abilities.  If you plan on printing larger than 5x7,
then seriously look at a 5 or 6mp camera.  If you want to print larger
than 8x10, go with a film camera or plan on spening A LOT!.

Hope that helps.

peace,
dude