[pct-l] digital camera

I've been using a digital point and shoot this last fall and like the results so far.  I got Olympus' bottom of the line camera, a Camedia D-395.  This has a fixed lens and is very basic, with 3.2 megapixels.  I haven't tried making prints with it, since that wasn't what I got the camera for.  Instead, I got it to make getting photos onto the web easier.  It does just fine.  You can see samples at the web page in the .sig below.  The death valley trip is all digital, and in the local trips section, Mount Rose and Mount Gladys are from the digitial.

I added a 256 MB memory card, which gives about 300 exposures for the generic setting (what the photos were taken with on the webpage).  I added a set of NiMH batteries.  I haven't had to recharge them yet.

On concern that I had for a thruhiking camera was battery type. I wanted it to be able to take AA batteries incase I had a real problem and needed replacaments right away.  Also, as I plan to take the camera overseas at times, I didn't want to have to worry about trying to find Li-Ion super fancy cells in Leh or Lhasa.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett