> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Training

Don't laugh.

When I first started thinking about doing the PCT, I dove into back issues of
Journal of Applied Physiology and similar scientific publications to see what I
could learn about the physiology of long-distance hiking and the nutrition it
might require. Sadly, there isn't much research done on long-distance hikers, so
I didn't learn as much as I hoped to.

However, it got the scientist in me thinking and I started visualizing a
research team equipped with a mobile lab that would follow the herd up the
trail. And we'd do a lot more than just weigh you: we're talking extensive
interviews, treadmill/stairmaster tests, blood samples and muscle biopsies.

I, too, will be on the trail in 05, but you 06ers? You should be afraid. Be very
afraid :-)

    --Steve