[pct-l] ice axe, and shoes...

I'm going to use my trail runners in the sierra instead of switching to
boots. If you're worried about trail shoes not getting enough traction,
you could try Yak Tracks Walkers.  They're basically rubber straps that go
over your shoes that have metal rings on them.  I can't really explain
them but you can probably look them up on the web.  I just got a pair for
training on the trails around here.  They weigh about 4 oz. or less
(for the pair) but durability may be an issue.  That's probably fine for
the couple of weeks it takes to cross the Sierras.  And that's much
lighter than a pair of boots.

I'll start using them here and let you know how they hold up.  If they
work well I'll probably carry them from Kennedy Meadows to South Lake
Tahoe or so.  It sound like things can get slippery so it may be worth it
to carry the extra 4 oz.

What are instep crampons and how do they differ from regular
mountaineering crampons?  Are these just the non ice climbing crampons?  I
think those would be too heavy to bother with.

I'm carrying my ice axe from Kennedy Meadows until the snow is not a
problem anymore.  But I think I'm also leaving a bit later (maybe first
week in may) so hopefully I won't encounter much snow in So. Cal.

Steve