[pct-l] food storage, ice axe, and shoes...

Probably lots of opinions and different experiences on these issues.

Food protection: None really needed until the Sierras. There are mice and
marmots (actually, mice got into my food in a bear box at Crabtree Meadows).
Next problem was in Washington once - mice nibbled into my tent. But,
generally, not a problem anywhere on the trail. So, I wouldn't go to any
extra trouble anywhere.

Ice axe: use in Southern California depends on the year. I would mail it to
Kennedy Meadows and get rid of it at Tuolumne Meadows - but, if you are
early and moving fast, you may need it both in Southern California all the
way to Echo Lake or Donner Summit. In 2000, we didn't need one at all as
long as we weren't going across snow fields early in the morning.

Footwear: Again, depends on the year/snow depth and ice conditions, when you
get there, etc. Light weight boots give better kicking power and a bit more
support. I think most hikers to switch to a light weight boot. But many
hikers don't switch, although they may use a bigger running shoe and add
thicker socks.

Crampons: I wouldn't bring them, but that is up to you.

Kickoff - I believe there is a web site for this. Stay tuned.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net