[pct-l] Tahoe Rim Trail and PCT

At 10:29 AM 1/11/2004 -0800, ECPG wrote:
>My hiking partner and I are planning a trip to the Lake Tahoe area and want
>to hike at least part of the TRT, preferably including part of the PCT. We
>will be using goats which are considered packstock. I have the guide book
>and have looked at the website but can't get a good idea of what the
>following scenarios would be.
>Can anyone answer a few questions?
>1. We will be travelling with packgoats. We need to not do any deep,(higher
>than knee high) water crossings.  Small or narrow bridges don't create a
>problem but no log crossings.

I recall some stream crossings between Echo Lake and Yosemite that could
get higher, but weren't when I went through. I don't recall anything
threatening on the Tahoe Rim Trail section of the PCT, but that's not
saying much as my memory is terrible.

Wish I could be more specific...

>2. If you had to pick a short section of the trail, what would it be, in
>terms of the best scenery and ease of access and logistics?

Section H of Washington is both pleasant and accessible. And if 129.1 miles
is too long, you can shorten it 52.6 by starting at Road 88 (near Trout
Lake) rather than Highway 14 (Cascade Locks).

>3. What's the best month to avoid bugs/snow/heat over 90 degrees?

September. It can be a bit chilly at night, but it's my favorite month to hike.

>4.Can I reasonably expect to do this with just a hammock or do I need to be
>able to sleep on the ground due to lack of trees.

Depends where you are. On the East Coast, I found hammocks easy to use in
Virginia, Pennsylvania and New York. I took a tarp on my PCT hike, but even
in areas abundant with trees, like between Yosemite and Tahoe, finding two
trees of the right height and distance apart seemed strangely rare. Though
in Washington it would have been easy, however I wasn't paying close
attention as I never used a hammock on the west coast. I gave up on
hammocks years ago, as they were too harsh on my back.

Tangent