Re: [pct-l] trail blues, suffering from depression

re. trail blues & depression

I'm glad someone brought this up and there's been a little more discussion on
it.

I feel that some people are more prone to the "blues" and others have very
little that triggers depression or "blues".  I know that for myself, I am
highly susceptible when I am tired or have a headache or when I'm trying to
meet physical expectations that are beyond my body's capability.   (Probably
most people are more susceptible when tired, hungry, or in pain.  But maybe
others react in other ways (anger?  irritability?) rather than feeling down.
?? I don't know.)

I know there will be lots of times when I am achy, tired, frustrated, and
feeling down.  I accept that as part of life and part of a long backpack.  And
I am preparing for it.  Because I am very aware of my "triggers", I will focus
even more on making sure I am well rested at night, very well hydrated and
fed, and that I keep reminding myself to "hike my own hike" and go at the pace
I am able to, rather than trying to follow someone else's style/speed of
hiking.

I also am working on strategies that are going to help me through "rough
times".  I am ready to push through a lot of that and continue on.  I don't
want to quit after a few days or even weeks of "trail blues", but I also want
to feel it's ok for me to stop if it gets to be a dangerous or an unenjoyable
experience.

Right now I am so looking forward to an extended adventure in the wilderness.
I'm hoping it will be for 4 months, and leave me wanting more.  But, if after
one month I've had my fill, then that's all I needed.

I applaud anyone who plans for months for a trip like this, and who is
courageous enough to start it, and open enough to learn from their experience,
no matter how far they travel.

And I applaud all of you who share your experiences with others and your
support.

Genltytred