Re: [pct-l] *ouch* the bruises...

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:04:02 -0500 "Jennifer R. Doebler"
<TUBABABE@psu.edu> writes:
>Need some advice--I am all bruised and banged up from my first (and
rather
>brutal in my opinion) ice axe training session this morning.  Anyone
have
>any home remedies to alleviate the aches and pains?

    Oh boy, do I know what you're going through, Tubababe! <VBG>
    Cold or cool-packs right away, take it easy a bit, and nothing like
aspirin that slows clotting-time (bruises are bleeds, right?) are Mom's
classic advice.
     Really horrible contusions can cause so much edema (swelling) from
the ruptured tissues, that it's hard to move around; in that case, gentle
exercise, maybe something like Tylenol, and even a muscle-relaxant to
prevent muscle-spasm (valium etc) make it easier on you so you don't
"lock up" like the Tin Man. Warm-packs alternating with cool-packs helps
healing/comfort, too - after the initial cold-pack application.

     After last week's Sierra backcountry trip (I hadn't been on skiis
for a long while and I was out-of-shape too), My butt hurt so-o bad. I
thought "What a terrific workout I got! Buns of Steel, here I come!" -
until I looked backward in the mirror and saw my butt was totally black
with bruising from falling down so much!  Ouch, indeed!      bj

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]