Re: [pct-l] Willow Spring (Section F) Water

In a message dated 2/9/99 5:59:14 PM Pacific Standard Time, mdixon@bigsky.net
writes:

<< The seep area has been fenced off to keep the multitudes of resident cattle
from  walking around the springs source. >>

I suspect that adding the fence to protect the spring itself was one of the
improvements. I understand that they also built a "spring box" with a spigot
from a water pipe, The spring box should protect the spring while the spigot
allows one to fill containers without dipping into the spring.

<< For those who have not been there, there is a large water detention pond
right next to the new water spigot. The area around the pond, and the excuser
is all cow shit and some dirt. Inside the excuser you can see some cow patties
that didn't look all that fresh. >>

From your description about the pond, I think the spring probably looked the
same (disgusting) way before the BLM added the protective spring box.

<< I didn't investigate how they had constructed the cistern, but my guess is
that the water is still not safe to drink for most people without treatment.

Good reminder to all, Mark. Thanks for your input.

I would NOT expect this spring water to be safe to drink without treatment or
filtering. At least, one can collect water for treatment now without "throwing
up."

Charlie Jones