Re: [pct-l] Willow Spring water

In a message dated 2/9/99 11:35:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
hikertrash@earthlink.net writes:

<< Charlie:  We camped at Willow Spring last year.  The springbox is well-
protected from the masses of cattle that frequent the place and the delivery
system worked well.  We still filtered though, mostly just because all the
cows around gave us the eebeegeebee's.  Though the pond looks inviting from
way up on the trail, when you get down to it, it's disgusting.  There is
hardly any cover around to get out of the sun and the camping ain't great
either.  Plus its kind of a long, sandy walk to and
 fro.  Some (north-bound) hikers were bushwacking to Willow Spring as soon as
they could see it from the trail (near Hill 5402 in Section 25 between Mayan
Peak and Pinyon Mountain), using one of the multitudes of cow paths.  You can
also sort of angle back to the trail on SC111, rather than retracing your
steps back up SC103 like we did.  ("Hey, how'd you guys get in front of us?")

Thanks, Chris, for your firsthand input.

In the past, there was lots of negative feedback about this water source. The
PCT Guide mentions that the "BLM plans to upgrade this water supply." This has
been completed; water treatment is still recommended.

I thought the Class of '99 needed to hear a more recent report so they can
decide if they want to consider this for a water supply or not. The book says
the next reliable water source is ~16 miles away at lower Yellow Jacket
Spring.

Charlie