[pct-l] RE: pct-l-digest V1 #679

1.	Does anybody carry a Swiss Army Knife?  I kinda like mine, find it very
handy and not too heavy.  I wish it had locking blades, though, and would buy
one that did.  Does anyone carry a multitool like a Gerber or a Leatherman?

I used to carry a small Swiss Army Knife, and found that the scissors were the
only thing I really used, and I decided that I wanted a better pair of scissors.
Instead of the SAK, I carry a Spyderco Ladybug knife (very small and
lightweight, partly serrated, lockblade, need to have some kind of blade) and a
small pair of seamstress scissors that weigh less than an ounce.  They don't
fold up like some of the travel scissors do, but it takes up an insignificant
amount of room in my first aid kit, and the quality and ease of use is much
better than what comes on the SAK.

Some people do carry one of the multitools, but they are rarely useful in my
experience.  The only repairs I've needed to make required a small sewing kit
(and that is mostly on other peoples clothes and equipment, I'm pretty easy on
equipment).  Mine came from one of the climbing manufacturers (I'm not sure
which one, Black Diamond maybe).  Small leather pouch with 3 or 4 different
kinds of thread, needle, heavy duty sewing machine needle with handle.  Weighs
less than an ounce.

Florida Tim