[pct-l] Hard Learned Lessons on the PCT

1.  Packs - After watching a heavy pack going from 0 to 60 in
the blink of an eye on its way down the mountain in ever higher leaps and
bounds I recommend buying the best constructed pack you can afford.  Luckily
it was Shari's not mine, she had to go get it and drag it back.
2.  Rope - If your parachute cord gets hung up in a tree and you and your
hiking partner put all your weight behind it, it will break way up high and
you will gain an appreciation of the damage a whip can do to arms and face.
When you tie the rock to the rope and throw it over the branch - duck.
3.  Filters - If you wait till after dark to filter your water the first
night out you just might bury the inlet hose in a pile of horse shit like
I did.  Carting along a filter and having to boil your water is not fun.
Know what you are filtering.
4.  Mosquitoes - Murphy's Law says the sole surviving mosquito in your tent
will bite you on the eyelid and your eye will swell shut.  Unscheduled
layovers mean a day without food. Carry
extra food.
5.  Tents - If you put all your gear inside your tent and tie it to large
rocks at every stake point if your filet knife is inside it will rip your
tent to shreds when the tent takes off, boulders and all, in the howling
gale.
6.  Creeks - You can slip and fall forward onto hands and knees in fast
moving water.  Your heavy pack will ride up and hold your head underwater -
it will take all your, and your hiking buddy's, strength to get upright when
the footing is unstable.
This was the scariest thing to happen.  Don't take chances
crossing creeks - unbuckle.
7.  Water bottle - left on hood of car at trailhead is of little
benefit.  Double check your supplies before heading off.
8.  Guidebook - If you plan to spend the night at a particular lake that is
unseen from the trail take note of the word unseen in the text.  Read
carefully.

I hope this benefits somebody.  I would like to learn from YOUR mistakes
before my next trip.
Helen
PS We really did have great times even though it doesn't sound like it when
I read this.
PPS It's snowing down to 2000ft in the Sierra right now at midday