Re: [pct-l] Shade for trail dog

this last summer I did a 3 day trip from the the old Sloan Creek campground
site , up Sauk creek, then there is a trail that runs up to a ridge South
of there (called  someting like Pilot Ridge), hike over to Johnson Mtn. and
Blue Lake. There is a small pass west of Blue Lake that will take you over
to the PCT at Dishpan Gap.  The Trail runs North along this ridge and to
White and Red pass, at this point I dropped  back  down into the Sauk
Valley  to return to my car, but you can continue over Red pass and down
into the WhiteChuck Valley and out to Kennedy Hot Springs( will need two
cars or a pickup).  The part that I did was almost all a ridge walk( so you
are out of the valleys), it was open  meadows, and mostly above tree line,
not a lot of up and down.  Some trees for variety and good photos.  I
enjoyed it ; it depends on what you like.  The Pilot ridge- Johnson Mt
Ridge is not real heavily used, so it offers a little solitude, and good
views of Sloan Peak and that area.

Goforth

----------
> From: H. Paul Jacobson <hpj3@u.washington.edu>
> To: pct-l@edina.hack.net
> Subject: [pct-l] Shade for trail dog
> Date: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 1:06 AM
>
> Recently there was a question about using an umbrella to shade a dog
while
> hiking in the desert.  After hiking in the subalpine region around Mt
> Baker (WA) I too wondered about protecting my little terrier from the
sun.
> One idea I had was some sort of reflective dog coat or cape.  For example
> a rectangle of reflective bubble pack (used in household insulation and
> car sun screens) could be made into a coat, or be attached to the top of
> the dog pack.  A more porous light colored material might be better, but
> since dogs don't sweat reduced air circulation across the dogs back may
> not be important.
>
> For my dog I think heat input from the ground is as significant as direct
> sun light - he's only 15 lb.  On that hike we took advantage of all
> available bits of shade - clumps of trees, boulders etc.  Also several
> snow banks were great resting spots.  I also gave him plenty of water to
> drink.
>
> Speaking of dogs on the trail, dogs have figured prominently in a couple
> of recent WA news items.  Right now a couple of snowshoers are missing
> near one of the Cascade passes (Stevens or Snoqualmie); they have camping
> gear with them and a husky.
>
> Over near Lake Chelan, a snowmobiler was found after being lost for 12
> days.  Two little Norfolk terriers are credited with helping him survive.
>
> A little over a week ago my son and I spent several hours hiking in the
> nearby Cascades - the Lake 22 trail near the Verlot ranger station.
There
> was 6" of wet snow at the trail head (1200').  We turned back just short
> of the lake (2400') when the snow became too deep.  In the upper part the
> trail was well enough packed by snowshoes to hike on, but a miss placed
> step meant sinking in up to the groin.  My dog thoroughly enjoyed the
snow.
> Of the half dozen parties we met, 4 had dogs with them.
>
> The way the weather people have been explaining this winter in the west
is
> that the jet stream has been stationary over Washington, with fewer than
> normal loops down into California.  That means California has had few big
> snow storms, while Washington and Oregon have had a steady stream of
> moderate storms.  I have not heard any speculation about how fast the
snow
> pack will melt.  Last summer, the weather remained cool and rainy well
> into July, but once the warm clear weather set in it stayed through
> September.  Around Labor Day, melt water streams off of Mt Baker were
> running in full force.
>
> If anyone has recommendations for a 3-5 day loop trip that includes the
PCT

*