[pct-l] Shade for trail dog

Recently there was a question about using an umbrella to shade a dog while
hiking in the desert.  After hiking in the subalpine region around Mt
Baker (WA) I too wondered about protecting my little terrier from the sun.
One idea I had was some sort of reflective dog coat or cape.  For example
a rectangle of reflective bubble pack (used in household insulation and
car sun screens) could be made into a coat, or be attached to the top of
the dog pack.  A more porous light colored material might be better, but
since dogs don't sweat reduced air circulation across the dogs back may
not be important.

For my dog I think heat input from the ground is as significant as direct
sun light - he's only 15 lb.  On that hike we took advantage of all
available bits of shade - clumps of trees, boulders etc.  Also several
snow banks were great resting spots.  I also gave him plenty of water to
drink.

Speaking of dogs on the trail, dogs have figured prominently in a couple
of recent WA news items.  Right now a couple of snowshoers are missing
near one of the Cascade passes (Stevens or Snoqualmie); they have camping
gear with them and a husky.

Over near Lake Chelan, a snowmobiler was found after being lost for 12
days.  Two little Norfolk terriers are credited with helping him survive.

A little over a week ago my son and I spent several hours hiking in the
nearby Cascades - the Lake 22 trail near the Verlot ranger station.  There
was 6" of wet snow at the trail head (1200').  We turned back just short
of the lake (2400') when the snow became too deep.  In the upper part the
trail was well enough packed by snowshoes to hike on, but a miss placed
step meant sinking in up to the groin.  My dog thoroughly enjoyed the snow.
Of the half dozen parties we met, 4 had dogs with them.

The way the weather people have been explaining this winter in the west is
that the jet stream has been stationary over Washington, with fewer than
normal loops down into California.  That means California has had few big
snow storms, while Washington and Oregon have had a steady stream of
moderate storms.  I have not heard any speculation about how fast the snow
pack will melt.  Last summer, the weather remained cool and rainy well
into July, but once the warm clear weather set in it stayed through
September.  Around Labor Day, melt water streams off of Mt Baker were
running in full force.

If anyone has recommendations for a 3-5 day loop trip that includes the PCT
near Glacier Peak, I'd love to receive them.  I'm toying with a family
backpacking trip in mid August.  One loop that has caught my attention is
up Milk Creek, over Vista Ridge on the PCT, and down the Suiattle.

Paul