Re: [pct-l] Re: Ice Axe Practice

Re: Ice Axe vs Ski Poles
Your arguement is well taken. The crampons He recommended work with soft
boots. However, what bothered me is: Where do you carry the axe when using
poles. Experts in the outdoor forum of compuserve cautioned me "Never put
on crampons without an axe".

My experience last summer was ski poles are wonderful walking across soft
snow. You can spread your weight and avoid dangerous breakthroughs.
Jonathan Breen's journal indicates why crampons work. He was able to
traverse slopes in the morning walking over the crust.

However, for anything step you need an axe -- I agree