Re: [pct-l] Re Ice Axes

>You are right, the head is steel. I thought you were talking about the
>shaft.  I did not know I could get a ten ounce axe.  Where are they and
>how much are they?
>
>tom

There are a few all-aluminum axes out there.  Besides the Cassin Dragonfly,
there was the Lowe/Camp HL250 (?) and what's that other company... Grimpex?
Something like that... My local mountaineering store, Mountain Tools
(408/393-1000), carries the Cassin.  I'm sure any mountaineering store could
order one.  It seems they run generally a little higher than simple chrome-
moly axes (which are around $70 to $80?) for no good reason that I can
understand.  Perhaps with a smaller run to produce, they charge more.  I'd
guess they are around $75 to $90.

Any real mountaineers out there, please jump in and correct any misconceptions
on my part.

Rick