[pct-l] Backpacks

Hello,
     Please disregard this message if you received one from me previously
today. Our network was down this morning and I think mail that I sent didn't
make it beyond the server. Anyhow.
   I am planning on purchasing a new backpack through your store, using my
Gregory Cassin as a trade-in. My choice for a new pack is The North Face's
Tyrol (Alpha series) pack. I cannot find any old literature to ascertain the
cubic inch capacity of my old pack. I think it was around 6000 ci. Do you
have access to this information? My pack is a medium. My concern is that I
might be moving into a pack that has substantially less room. I did a solo
thru-hike of the PCT with a previous Cassin and plan to do it again. If
sizes changed througout the Cassin's history, mine is circa 1982-3 (pre
dual-density hipbelt).
   Also, since I intend to purchase through you regardless (I was very happy
with a previous purchase my wife made through you), can you give me an
honest opionion about the Tyrol. Does the delrin rod really help load
transfer, or is just a gimmick? They claim to use lighter fabrics on this
pack. What is being used on the bottom? Is it durable? Unlike TNF,Gregory
only list one cubic inch size for their packs. Is this with the spindrift
collar extended or not? Should I stick with Gregory? Your help would be
greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Ken Marlow
    (202)857-5808   (weekdays 8-4:30 E.S.T)