[pct-l] re: pur hiker

the hiker has no iodine.  it is classified as a "level 2 filter", as
opposed to some other pur products that are "level 1 purifiers".

the hiker has a fabric-type membrane, with a central carbon core.  the
membrane removes silt and critters (giardia, etc), the carbon core removes
many chemicals.  it does not remove viruses - you need the iodine for that.

pur has a new filter called the voyager - identical to the hiker but with
an iodine resin core - this is now a "level 1 purifier."  and you can get
what they call a stop-top or something, which is a nalgene bottle adapter
with carbon in it to remove the iodine.     cool filter.

mike

Michael Henderson		mikeh@royalrobbins.com

We cannot know what we can do in advance.  The only way
to find out is to go all-out trying, thinking only success.
     - Royal Robbins