Re: [pct-l] Re Ice Axes

>The Mountain Technology weight in at 21 ounces for an 85 centemeter
>length (I know this is longer than usual but it makes a better putter
>this way.)  I do not know if it is aluminum or an alloy.  REI said it
>was UIAA rated but it doesn't say so on the axe.  If it breaks during a
>self arrest my estate can sue them ;)
>
>tom (recovering attorney)
>Campo-May1

Thanks.  I think it's a chrome-moly headed axe - steel, rather than
aluminum.  I think the all alum axes are about 10 ozs.  My SMC Alpine
has the little UIAA sticker - I'm surprised the MT doesn't.  If it's
a steel-headed axe, it should stop you in a fall just fine - not that
I have any experience at self-arrests - yet.  :^)

Have a great hike!  I'm looking to 98.

Rick