[pct-l] opinions

JEez, get off for even a minute and things just pile up.  Please forgive me,
but I'm going to reply to a handful of questions.  I'm an opinionated person
and these are just opinions, not set in stone truths.  But, we did see a
number of things people did and the changes they made last year during their
through hikes, as did we.  So now I spew random thoughts:

-- There is no post office at Agua Dulce, just a small street amidst nice
houses of people trying to escape L.A.  If you mail to P.O. your parcel may
end up at either the Century 21 office or across the street at the market.
Bernice Canuit at Century 21, 33358 Agua Dulce Rd, A.D., CA, 913350 was
great to all hikers!

-- for those talking of photos: we planned on taking many photos but were to
into moving to want to stop all the time; until we added the tiny extra
weight of a camera holder which I wore at my waist for easy access.  I used
one by SunDog, but there are lighter models, especially if you make you own.
Well worth the few ounces when we saw the cahnge it made in the quality of
our pictures.

-- the tarp/net; Megamid questions:  we personally used Sierra Designs
Summer Moon (4lbs, 4oz.) as did a few other hikers and loved it.  Some
people that went with a hoop went to freestanding later.  A megamid is
great, less the bugs and lack of light or wind that creeps in. Some hikers,
including those who used tarps and nets, had serious problems with mice,
especially since most distance hikers seem not to hang food (which is a
topic in its own).  My opine is that a sound nights sleep makes up for the
extra time you may gain by going a tad lighter.

-- Pur Hiker: definetly our choice.  The hiker's friend (Jardine style) is
also great, but a bit slow if you are on the move.  Iodine as backup is
great, but drinking it straight all summer can get old and some thoughts say
that much may injur your organs.  Besides, with all the scummy water sources
in the deserts you will need something to filter.
Also, the need to always unscrew to add water to get pressure (which amny
people did) is not needed.  Simply rub some lubricant (vasoline, neosporin)
on the rubber O rings and your set for a while.  We went through 5 or 6
filters (and remember, they are guarunteed not to clog so take your
manufacturers 800 # with you)

-- Finally I can't believe this list has so much talk of guns.  Absolutely
no.  If you encounter someone that threatening they will probably know more
about guns then you do, and you may provoke them.  We opted for a simpler,
lighter defense as more of just piece of mind.  We carried a four shot
PEPPER SPRAY (2oz) the whole way.  This is a good first defense without
causing serious trouble.  I only pulled it out ounce when some dogs in
northern CA were getting a bit frisky.  You can buy it in CA, but ditch or
hide it at the norhtern border as i heard its illegal in Canada

Sorry for taking so much space, but I hope this helps a few out there.  See
you in San Diego!!