[pct-l] Create the ultimate PCTwebsite

Rob,

In terms of performance considerations, this might be very slow. Most of
your audience is still on dial-up. From my experience topo's don't compress
really well (50K for a 'smaller' image). See iMap at postholer.com for an
example.

Although all the topo's could be 3D rendered once, being static for
additional uses, the user would notice a lag while the images downloaded
during the 'profile scrolling', painfully noticeable on dial-up. It may not
be the most desirable user experience.

Having given the idea some thought in the past, what I would do if I was to
embark on such an endeavor, is use the following method:

Image Map - The granularity of your lat/lon would be reduced to 1 pixel in
the image map
Mouse Over - display some menial info that could be easily downloaded with
the initial web page
On Click - Display extensive information, such as images, lengthy
descriptions when the user clicks.

Programmaticaly, this approach would require minimal cgi scripting.

Just some thoughts,
Scott Parks

as you would drag/scroll the elevation profile, a second scrollable
window located below the first with topos of the pct would also be
changing (just like google maps).  the 2 would be linked: as you drag
one, the other also changes.

a third view located below the other 2 would show a 3-d rendered view
of the trail generated by mapping software.

bearcan't
<<<<
PCT, CDT Snow : http://Postholer.Com
Peak Geek Hiker Supply: http://PeakGeek.Com