[pct-l] fuel cannisters

Mike,

We all know that pressurized stoves don't perform as well at high altitude
and cold temps, I have had mine poop out in similar conditions (and then
work fine at home).  But, there may have also been something was wrong with
the canister.  At work, we are constantly testing stoves (at room temp, sea
level) and I have found that as many as 1 in 30? canisters have problems.
The little moving part inside the threaded part (that allows you to remove
the stove and the gas doesn't leak out) gets stuck slightly and either
causes it to lose pressure slowly or not work at all.  I have also noticed
that they can sometimes lose pressure if they have been sitting for a while
(>6 months).  Also, even though MSR stoves FIT on Snow Peak, Jet Boil and
Primus fuel canisters, I have heard of--and have seen--problems with doing
this, more than once.  In fact, Snow Peak issued a notice to retailers a
while back ago to tell people not to put Snow Peak stoves on other canisters
or Snow Peak canisters on other stoves.  They were seeing that sometimes the
connection was not perfect and fires were starting.  I have seen it happen
personally and it is very scary.  Some retailers don't know about that and
will tell you that you can use any of the fuels.  I would try to stick with
the brand of the stove you have.

Melissa