[pct-l] fuel cannisters

Just got back from Fobes/Saddle Junction (Sect B. Pics and report to
follow!)
I used a pocket rocket on this trip and I wish I hadn't....

The fuel canister had about 20-30 minutes of burn left in it. I was at
8k and the temps were somewhere between the low 40s and the mid 30's (it
never got to freezing).
The pocket rocket, with it's low fuel level, didn't boil 3 cups of water
after burning at full blast for about 20-30 minutes! It burner out
before the water boiled and I had to use less-than-boiling water fro my
chicken noodle soup dinner.

I've heard that canisters didn't perform well at high altitudes or low
temps. I have a white gas stove for my high elevation hikes. But this
was the first time my pocket rocket didn't perform well. I don't think
it was altitude, being only 8k (I've used my pocket rocket at 10k+), or
the temps (it was cold, but not freezing). I think maybe it was the low
level of fuel and maybe less than adequate pressure inside the canister.

Michael Saenz ,  Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE          MVE    Institutional         MVE    S t u d i o
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m