[pct-l] fuel cannisters

reviews and tests on the planet.

-----Original Message-----
From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Melissa Spencer
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 11:55 AM
To: msaenz@mve-architects.com; jamierae@letterboxes.org;
pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [pct-l] fuel cannisters

Mike,
At work, we are constantly testing stoves (at room temp, sea
level) and I have found that as many as 1 in 30? canisters have problems.

### Interesting. Where do you work?

Also, even though MSR stoves FIT on Snow Peak, Jet Boil and Primus fuel
canisters, I have heard of--and have seen--problems with doing this, more
than once.  In fact, Snow Peak issued a notice to retailers a while back ago
to tell people not to put Snow Peak stoves on other canisters or Snow Peak
canisters on other stoves.  They were seeing that sometimes the connection
was not perfect and fires were starting.  I have seen it happen personally
and it is very scary.  Some retailers don't know about that and will tell
you that you can use any of the fuels.  I would try to stick with the brand
of the stove you have.

### Very interesting. This is the first I've heard of this. I guess I've
been lucky. By random chance, I hardly ever use the same brand of canister
and stove. I've never used a Jetboil canister on a Jetboil even though I
have two of them and regularly use it to make tea when driving.

But, thinking about it, I guess I've used more Snowpeak canisters on
Snowpeak stoves than other brands.

I thought the whole point of standardizing (EN417, for instance) on the
Lindal resealable valve was to be standard.

Jerry