From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Monte Dodge
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 11:17 AM
To: pct-l
Subject: [BULK] - [pct-l] Filters

 No you don't need to carry a filter, but filter makers added there spin
on " The is a Bug in every drop" over the last 10 years. I rarely use a
filter and only in areas of high human use,, like on PCT near border, or
Mt. Adams near Lunch Counter. Now I just carry a hammer, pour the water
on a rock and smash all the little bugs  in water, then try to funnel
water back in my gatoraid bottle. ( Good for a million gallons and never
plugs)   OK , maybe not,  but most thru-hikers finish with no filter at
all and carry some chemical treatment for water may be " Iffy"..  If
there were bear boxes/poles if high problem areas , we wouldn't need the
canisters.  I never filter or treat my  water on trails here in
Washington.  Folks that have more problems with water are people who
drink " Treated" water on a day to day grind and maybe not have
tolerance build up as say ,, Billy Goat, Yogi,, etc.