[pct-l] Filters

 No you don't need to carry a filter, but filter makers added there spin on " The is a Bug in every drop" over the last 10 years. I rarely use a filter and only in areas of high human use,, like on PCT near border, or Mt. Adams near Lunch Counter. Now I just carry a hammer, pour the water on a rock and smash all the little bugs  in water, then try to funnel water back in my gatoraid bottle. ( Good for a million gallons and never plugs)   OK , maybe not,  but most thru-hikers finish with no filter at all and carry some chemical treatment for water may be " Iffy"..  If there were bear boxes/poles if high problem areas , we wouldn't need the canisters.  I never filter or treat my  water on trails here in Washington.  Folks that have more problems with water are people who drink " Treated" water on a day to day grind and maybe not have tolerance build up as say ,, Billy Goat, Yogi,, etc.