[pct-l] Muir Trail Ranch & Sierra resupply options.

Hi losthiker!

I've been away from my pct-l email for a month, so as I weed my way through
the stack, I enjoyed reading your accounts of your dealings with the Muir
Trail  Ranch and your mindset on where to be resupplied if you have a choice ( MTR
vs.  VVR ).

As a former Wilderness Ranger in the Paiute drainage, I spent much time  with
the staff, owner-family, and guests of the MTR.  Nothing but the best  kind
of guest ranch types.  Adeline Smith and family were  exceptional.  This was
around 1977.  The kids now run the place.   Since their clientele is primarily
not interested in lightweight backpacker type  supplies in their store, little
wonder why this would not be as good a resupply  destination as VVR.  However,
it is right on the trail (more or less) and  doesn't involve hitching out and
great expense of time, money, or loss of  wilderness experience (which is why
we're out there, anyway!!  IMHO)

When I'm on the trail I want to be immersed in the immensity of the High
Sierra, its huge granite cathedrals attesting to God's incredible handiwork, its
massive "aire," and smells and sounds that simply cannot be lastingly
recorded  in the mind or soul's memory long enough to enjoy for long back in
civilization.  Thus the need to return!  I don't want to periodically  or frequently
leave the trail for resupplies.  It's bad enough when the  trail winds amongst
highways and resorts; although they have some good things to  offer, I only
want to visit them.  I don't understand why hikers frequently  choose to leave
the trail, taking extensive time out of their schedules which  forces them to
hike farther & faster to get to Canada before the snow flies  not to mention
putting themselves into potentially dangerous societal positions  like hitching
with stoned drivers (especially for lone female  hikers!).

If the service were available, I often wonder how many thru-hikers would
want to have their resupplies brought in to them, say at Kearsarge Pass, for
instance?

I have provided this service, summer or winter by sled, to thru-hikers in
the past mainly because it makes sense, helps each year's class get through the
Sierra more efficiently, and I wish I'd had this kind of help when I went
thru  in 1974.

mtnned