[pct-l] adapting to heat

In a message dated 12/28/2004 8:59:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kborski@yahoo.com writes:

> Don't be afraid to take a long break during the
> hottest part of the day.  I usually do not even
> attempt to hike between 11:00am and 3:00pm in the
> hottest areas.

I tend to hike a little later in the morning, til noon or 1, and start up
again a little later in the afternoon.  With a good early start, you really don't
have to hike too far in the afternoon or evening.

Finding shade can sometimes be problematic in the desert, but a tarp and the
ability to pitch it high can help.

Sly