[pct-l] adapting to heat

Toby Woodard wrote:

"I'm very worried about adapting to that intense heat in S. Cal.  Any suggestions??

There have been lots of good suggestions thus far.  The heat can be overwhelming to those folks from cooler climates whom are unaccustomed to hiking in the desert.  As a long-time desert rat (I live in Phoenix and hike in the desert extensively), I thought I?d throw in my two cents worth about hiking in the heat.

There are two heat-related issues you need to deal with while hiking in the desert.  They?re different but related.  First, as many have recommended, you need to drink lots of water.  The amount of water you need depends on the outside temperature and your level of exertion.  Secondly, you need to manage your skin temperature to avoid overheating.  Overheating can lead to fatigue, heat exhaustion, and heat stoke.

Drinking lots of water means carrying lots of water.  Be smart about going lightweight versus carrying the right amount of water.  Until you get used to hiking in the desert and know what your body requires, carry an extra liter for safety.  Carry more if you?re climbing hills or if it is unusually hot.  The effects of dehydration linger and can affect your body for several days after you?ve re-hydrated.

When you do get to a water source, ?camel up? or slowly drink a liter or more of water while still at the water source.  Assuming that you?ve camped near water, you should hydrate (drink fluids) as much as possible in the morning while breaking camp and in the evenings while eating dinner.  The old adage is ?if you?re thirsty, you?re already dehydrated.?  Avoid caffeine and alcohol.  Breath through your nose.

Your body can absorb only so much water at once so slamming down a liter or more at a time is somewhat inefficient.  Drink small amounts (1 cup or less) of water throughout the day at regular intervals.  Your urine should be clear.  If its tinted dark, you need to drink more fluids.

A common mistake that desert newcomers make is to believe that they are not using much of their body?s water because they?re not sweating very much.  In the dry warm southern sections of the PCT, your sweat will evaporate almost immediately (unlike more humid environments).  While you may be sweating profusely, your skin and cloths might remain dry.  If you?re hiking and climbing hills, know that you?re losing water and it needs to be replaced.

Others have discussed sun protection and clothing.  Managing your body temperature means getting out of the sun and cooling off your body.  You cool your body through shade and by using evaporation.  It?s about 8 ? 10 degrees cooler in the shade than it is in the direct sunlight.  Proper clothing is great but so is resting in the shade, even if it?s man-made.  If you need a break, wait for a shady spot.

One tip I like to recommend is to wet your body when you do get to water (assuming the water is not scarce, like at a water cache).  I like to take my shirt off and soak it in the water and then put it back on while its sopping wet.  Put your hat in the water and the put it on your head.  Drench yourself with water.  Use the evaporative effects of the water to cool your self off before you start hiking again.  The cooling effect can last for more than an hour.

If you become overheated (fatigue, spots before your eyes, clammy feeling, etc.) stop at the first shade you find.  Immediately cool your body down by lightly wetting your hair and clothing.  Lay down in the shade with your feet up and your shoes off.  Slowly sip water to re-hydrate your system.  Keep your hair and ears wet (you lose most of your body heat from your head).  Don?t start hiking again until you feel fully recovered.

Finally, the PCT desert sections aren?t that bad.  Be smart and there?s no need to be fearful.  I found the desert sections very beautiful with a multitude of wild flowers and grand vistas.  Using the tips others have shared here will ensure that you also enjoy this wonderful section of the PCT.

Lucky

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.