From: "Rick Hunt" <rtjhunt@comcast.net>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 8:50 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Swollen feet

I have found that I did not get blisters when I wore running shoes (New
Balance 805s) that were two sizes larger than my street shoes (eg. street
size 11D NB size 13).  I replaced the insole with a Spenco liner and
alternated wearing one pair of smart wool socks or two pairs of Costco thin
street socks.  I did one PCT hike of 150 miles through the Goat Rocks area
with occassional wet feet, and one PCT hike from Stehekin to Canada about 90
miles without getting blisters.  During the day I generally took off my
shoes and socks and cleaned my feet in a nearby stream as well as aired out
my socks, insoles and shoes about twice a day.  I averaged about 20 to 25
miles per day.

Hoov