[pct-l] New Shoe Setup - Inserts?

Hi all,

Getting the dogs ready for some long days hiking. Hey wanted to get your
opinion on setting up new shoes. Whether they are NB 806AT?s, Nike?s,
Merrell, whatever how many of you use the factory insert that was
provided? Do you all pull it and put in 3rd party purchased inserts? If
so what kinds are the preferred ones?

I experimented and found the factory inserts from Merrell were ok, but
lacked a little cushion in the heels. I tried complete new inserts, but
they put my feet up too high. I went back to the factory inserts and
added a SOF ? insert, heel only that tapers to nothing about mid arch.
This combo has been outstanding at least for 10 to 15 miles of
trial
.???

Would like to hear your thoughts. And when you get new shoes on the thru
hike do you send inserts ahead or hope to find them on the road.

Thanks!!!

Bill Wilson

email2bill@cox.net