[pct-l] New Shoe Setup - Inserts?

I wear Brooks Beasts and am very satisfied with them but have no experience with any other brand.

As far as insoles go, I was very lucky to have a friend insist that I get custom insoles. The insoles corrected a couple of minor problems and provided better cushioning than any other product I have ever used. Walked the entire PCT with them last year. Wore them all winter. Just had them re-covered and will be wearing them on the trail this year.

The only foot problems I had last year were blisters on the heel. Cutting open the blisters, drying them, applying Neosporin, and covering them with the Band-Aid brand Extra Large Tough Strips took care of the injury until the foot developed heavy calluses in the blistered areas.

Last year I started out with silk sox. They were probably worse than no sock at all because they would slowly slide down into the shoe. Finally threw them away and just wore my smart wool sox. I expected to have hot uncomfortable feet but surprisingly did not even through months of walking in 100 plus degree temps.

Large areas of the Brooks Beasts are made of breathable fabric. I decided that besides providing good ventilation, the fabric would probably allow the sock and shoe to dry more quickly when wet. Testing showed that the shoes did dry quickly so I decided to simply wear them during river crossings then walk them dry. This policy worked out very well. Other hikers predicted that I would get blisters as a result but for whatever reason, did not. An unexpected bonus of crossing rivers with shoes on was that feet, sox and shoes all got a good (and legal) wash.

Bill Wilson <email2bill@cox.net> wrote:
Hi all,

Getting the dogs ready for some long days hiking. Hey wanted to get your
opinion on setting up new shoes. Whether they are NB 806AT?s, Nike?s,
Merrell, whatever how many of you use the factory insert that was
provided? Do you all pull it and put in 3rd party purchased inserts? If
so what kinds are the preferred ones?

I experimented and found the factory inserts from Merrell were ok, but
lacked a little cushion in the heels. I tried complete new inserts, but
they put my feet up too high. I went back to the factory inserts and
added a SOF ½ insert, heel only that tapers to nothing about mid arch.
This combo has been outstanding at least for 10 to 15 miles of
trial?.???

Would like to hear your thoughts. And when you get new shoes on the thru
hike do you send inserts ahead or hope to find them on the road.

Thanks!!!

Bill Wilson

email2bill@cox.net