[pct-l] sun protection

I've been asking around about this and have gotten a lot of conflicting
info.  So I figured I'd ask the list and make it worse :)

I burn pretty easily so I think its best for me to cover up in the desert
as opposed to relying on sun block.  Does anyone know what kind of sun
protection base layer shirts give?  I was thinking of wearing a white,
long-sleeve shirt like Patagonia silkweight or EMS Techwick.  The brand
doesn't really matter, all those shirts are very similar.  They're super
lightweight and I think they'd keep me cool, but you can see right through
them so I'm wondering if they'd even help with the sun.

The alternative is to wear a white, button-down safari type of shirt like
the ones made by Ex Officio or MEC.  They have built in sun protection
(30+ SPF) but I don't think they would breathe as well as the poly-pro
top so they may be too hot.

Any opinions?

Steve