[pct-l] Bad List Manners

I would agree that replying with an enormous trail of emails dragging
at the end of your reply is not very useful.

However, I disagree that one should always remove the previous
message when replying because it helps put the comments in
perspective.  For instance, if someone just replies and says "Oh
yeah... I find that very useful.  I would recommend that to anyone.",
I would want to know what the heck that reply is talking about, so
including either a snippet of the email with the reply that explains
what the reply is referring to, or including the whole email in the
reply (if its too complex to slice up) is not only ok, but
preferred.  many times, I delete the original message and it is
inconvenient or impossible to go back and locate the original message
to which the response refers.

Honestly, I am not a digest member, so perhaps I do not understand
the problem, but even the longest of longest posts that have this
porblem are still far under 100k.  By contrast, a very usable web
page such as The Google News page weighs in at over 200k, so these
emails are still not very large.

If you are reading these emails on a PDA, Blackberry, or cellphone,
and that is the reason that the long emails are an issue, consider
not doing so because a discussion list (any list, not just this one)
is not really designed for such mediums.

peace,
dude

ps: I am leaving the original email below because I think that it
would be helpful if people wanted to see what i was responding to.