[pct-l] northern cascades

Gray <gray_hiker@mindpoison.org> wrote:
I've only been in that area on one hike, but I've looked at the
surrounding topos a lot... *are* there any roads that an alternate
route could take?

To the best of my memory, there really are no roads on the east side of
Glacier, until well past Lake Chelan. And to the west, it would be a
hell of a hike along the Suiattle River, and then down a long access
road, to get to any road that could be a detour.

I don't doubt at all that the detours will be long and strenuous, but I
highly doubt there will be any road walking... unless, of course, the
damage is so great that it requires a detour of 20 miles or more.

the damage is that great.the main sticking point seems to be south of the suiattle river. to get around that would require on the east side, a detour over buck creek pass down to the trailhead at trinity, then a road walk to the napeequa valley trail and from there having to cross the chiwawa river and(i belive) the napeequa too,very unlikely in early season snow melt. the only other alternative i see is a long road walk down the suiattle river road over to darrington then heading down the mountain loop hwy to catch back up with the p.c.t. at the north fork sauk rd trailhead.

Ps: Has anyone on this list taken a side-route over to Image Lake from
the PCT on a thru-hike? How many miles and elevation gain does it add?
Worth it?
well worth it! if memory serves me i think it`s about 2 miles and 1000 ft elevation gain from miners ridge.massive flower gardens  and a jaw dropping look at glaicier peak has made this a northwest favorite for decades.also there is a lookout tower  that welcomes visitors.one of my all time favorite places not only in the cascades but anywhere.rob