[pct-l] Snowmelt at Muir Pass - a 2003 comparison

I ran across Gottago's pictures of her hike in 2003 and saw that she
had a picture taken from Muir Pass looking north on June 19th.  We had
a photo from our JMT hike in the exact same location from July 4th. I
thought it made an interesting study of the amount of snow that could
melt in 15 days. We walked on only a few patches of snow when
approaching Muir Pass from the north on July 4th, and Wanda Lake was
ice free.  On June 19th when descending this same trail, Wanda Lake was
frozen over, and people walked on snow for 1-2 miles straight. Of
course, the south (really, east) side of Muir has a LOT more snow. No
big surprise I guess, but here is a link to the 2 photos:

June 19th - Muir Pass
http://www.lindajeffers.com/gallery/PCT-2003/06_19_03_295

July 4th - Muir Pass
http://www.pbase.com/image/18986304