[pct-l] Hiking Poles

Adding to what the others said on hiking poles:

I loved my poles when I was still carrying 25-35 pounds. Now that we've
lightened our load, I am not sure. For now, I will bring them, but I've been
carrying them in one hand or putting them in my backpack more often these
days. I like them especially for snow fields, rivers and uphill when I am
tired, downhill when I need to take bigger steps (and for the tarptent). I
dislike them for brush, mosquito-terrain (ever tried keeping flies and
mosquitoes off you when both your hands are busy with the poles?) and on
rocks.

My lekis last now already for about seven years. I like them.

By the way: keep them close to you at night. A deer tried to run off with
them on our trip in the Pacific Northwest in 1997. Apparently it loved the
salt on the handles sooo much... We truly had trouble chasing it away and
making it drop the poles.

Best wishes,
Saskia