[pct-l] Re: Resupply details

on 9/25/03 10:00 AM, Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:

>> 2233.1 Trout Lake
>> It doesn't seem that people use this town.  Is it really customary to haul
>> from Cascade Locks all the way to White Pass?
>>
> It may be customary but I wouldn't do it.  Trout Lake provides just about
> everything a long distance hiker needs.  You could also do a resupply or mail
> drop at the small store near Panther Creek, but a mile off trail.  Sorry I
> forget the details on this one, but it would avoid carring a heavy pack up
> 4500 feet of elevation during the 1st 30 miles or so of this section.

Sections H's 147 miles between the Columbia River and White Pass can be done
in one long stretch without a resupply. Through hikers travelling at 20+
miles per day should be able to make it. Another alternative is to take the
"short cut" from Cascade Locks, a 14-mile, level road walk that gets you to
the Panther Creek campground quickly and skips about 30 miles of the real
PCT. Another alternative is to resupply at Trout Lake, a 14-mail hitch from
the point where the PCT crosses Forest Service Road 23. This is about
halfway through the 147-mile section. This year a new resupply option has
been discovered.

Stabler, Wash., Resupply Information

While I was hiking Washington?s Section H earlier this month, the famous
through hiker Billy Goat told me he was resupplying at the Stabler store,
which is not listed in the guidebook or town book. Stalber is about 3/4 mile
south of the point where the PCT crosses the Wind River Road, on its way to
the Panther Creek campground. Here is what Yogi has to say about it in her
on-line journal:

--------
A couple weeks ago, Billygoat told me about a place 34 miles north of
Cascade Locks called "Stabler?s". It?s a store 3?4 mile off-trail, which
accepts hiker packages.

"If you send a box there, then you don?t have to haul your groceries out of
Cascade Locks."

He was right!

We sent a box to Stabler?s. Nice place, nice people. Pepsi! Canned
pineapple! Ice cream!

-----

According to switchboard.com, this is the address and phone number:

Stabler Country Store
22 Hemlock Y Rd
Carson, WA 98610-3184
Phone: (509) 427-2717

I have never used this place. I urge anyone considering using this as a
resupply point or a place to send boxes should CALL FIRST.

Tom Griffin
Seattle, WA
griffin@u.washington.edu
PCT Pages: http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/pct.html