[pct-l] Hiking Poles

The first time I tried backpacking with hiking poles, I decided I'd never
turn back.  They make it so much easier on your knees and ankles when
going downhill, and take some of the weight off your legs when climbing.
Plus they take weight off your feet and improve your balance.  They can be
used as tarp poles, for stream crossings, anything you can think of.  I
would never backpack without them.  Some people may disagree with me, but
they are not me.  I know that, for me, its much better to have hiking
poles.

> 1. One pole or two?

I use two poles.  But that's just personal preference.  Try to see what
you like best

> 2. Spring loaded or not?

I think spring loaded would be a waste.  They're hiking poles, not pogo
sticks. You don't need shock absorbers, just a pole

> 3. Carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium or alloy?

I don't think it matters but you want something strong and leightweight.

> 4. Brand preferences?

I mine are Leki poles, but it probably doesn't matter.

A few other things ...

I hate the clicking that trekking poles make when they hit the ground so I
would use rubber tips or something like that.  Also, you'll probably want
something collapsible/adjustable.  But I'm guessing all trekking poles are
fully collapsable these days.  Its nice to be able to adjust the length
and then shrink them all the way down if you don't want to use them.

Steve