[pct-l] Hiking Poles

I have been using two hiking poles for the last ten years, after seeing people
using them on the Whitney Portal trail in 92.  After my first trip, I have never
left home without them, for all the reasons people listed--no swelling hands, no
falling in streams, no more clumsy falls on the trail, better speed on uphills,
higher speed and stability on downhills.  They are a great training aid for dogs
and other companion critters.   I have also scared off a couple of aggressive
loose dogs on the trail with them.
Being deeply cheap people we have never bought official trekking poles.  We
found used ski poles of appropriate length at the thrift store and added Leki
replacement tips.  Total cost about $15.  The poles have rubber grips instead of
straps.  I have considered using my cross-country ski poles, which have suede
grips and straps, but never got around to it.  The rubber grips tend to make my
hands sweat and turn black.
If you are thinking of trying trek poles but don't want to drop that initial
hundred bucks, try it first with used ski poles.  They are usually $5 a pair at
thrift stores.  The Leki tips just make the tips last longer, as ski poles
usually have hollow metal tips that wear out quick.  I have been using the same
$5 poles for ten years and have replaced the tips once.
Marion Davison