[pct-l] 2005 hike?

Regarding navigating through snow fields: if you go very early and are ahead
of the pack or there is an exceptionally snowy year, you have something to
be concerned about.  Otherwise, you will either find little snow or will
find tracks to follow. Yes, you will have some spots where you will wonder
"where is the trail?". But, you will find it or others will come along and
show you the way. So, don't worry about the snow fields.

Ice axes: you will get all different opinions on this site. Definitely the
weather matters and whether you venture out early in the morning and late in
the evenings. If the snow is icy, just don't go on it - wait. In the last
few years, there was little snow and I suspect ice axes were not really
needed (depending on when you went). But, in 2005?  Who knows. Hiking poles
are not ice axes, though if they are shortened (collapsed), the double
column may be strong enough to help stop from sliding in the first place.

Regarding other 20's hikers - not to worry. Show up at the kickoff at Lake
Morena and you will find many others. You don't need a partner to start the
hike with. And realize that everyone hikes at a different pace - a wrong
matching is not fun for either person, but with patience, it works too.

As for thinking it is now or never: well, things happen and you may find
several times when you can hike. Take advantage of each of them.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net