[pct-l] 2005 hike?

Hello Everyone,

I am a college student from San Luis Obispo, California.  I have been watching
the PCT-L for a couple of weeks and have started my reading of the SOCAL guide
of the PCT.  I was wondering if there are any 20-somethings out there who might
be planning hikes for the 2005 thru-hike season (no offense to those 30, 40, 50
and so-on-somethings).  Also, I want to pose a question about ice axes; are
they absolutely necessary (does it all depend on weather) or can some get away
with not using one?  I have never hiked or orienteered through snow fields.
Should this disqualify me from attempting a thru-hike?

I graduate this winter in General Engineering and am contemplating going to law
school.  I am nervous that I would never be able to complete the trail if I
don't do it in the next couple years. Your comments regarding this e-mail and
any posts are appreciated.  From someone thinking of embarking on this
incredible journey; those of you who have completed it and offer your
expertise, you will always be trail angels, even if you never again leave your
computer desk.  Thanks again,

Scott Anderson