[pct-l] 2005 hike?

This is from one of those 30-somethings with whom you choose not to hike.

1. Ice Axes- as many as you can carry, at least 3 in the desert. The heavy
steel ones are the best. The work best when used in tandem with a brick for
testing those pesky snow bridges.
2. Experience on snow- pshaw! I'm sure those 20-something legs of yours will
carry you just fine, of course- only older, fatter, balder people like me
ever posthole or get lost

Scott, I'm kidding of course. But you will definitely enjoy yourself more if
you don't have preconceived notions about who you can hike with and who you
can't. Good luck.

Judson
Ashland
currently residing in the Rogue Valley Geriatric Unit

_
 I was wondering if there are any 20-somethings out there who might
be planning hikes for the 2005 thru-hike season (no offense to those 30, 40,
50
and so-on-somethings).  Also, I want to pose a question about ice axes; are
they absolutely necessary (does it all depend on weather) or can some get
away
with not using one?  I have never hiked or orienteered through snow fields.
Should this disqualify me from attempting a thru-hike?

I graduate this winter in General Engineering and am contemplating going to
law
school.  I am nervous that I would never be able to complete the trail if I
don't do it in the next couple years. Your comments regarding this e-mail
and
any posts are appreciated.  From someone thinking of embarking on this
incredible journey; those of you who have completed it and offer your
expertise, you will always be trail angels, even if you never again leave
your
computer desk.  Thanks again,

Scott Anderson